All information on internships

General information

What is the legal foundation of the general practical module?

The legal foundations are laid down in the internship regulations and the module description of the general practical module.

What is the aim of the general practical module?

“As part of supplementary studies, a practical module (optional module) must be completed successfully. Students whose professional goals lie outside academia should be given the chance to gain an insight into possible fields of professions and employment; in this way they will be confronted with the demands and particularities of practical work. Students should have the opportunity to check their professional motivation and their choice of profession, and to gain ideas for further shaping their course of studies.” (§2 Examination regulations)

Is the general practical module the right choice for me?

If you are studying a double-degree subject programme with supplementary studies, taking a practical module is compulsory. In addition to the general practical modules there are various alternative practical modules available to you. You will find the full selection of possible modules in the Supplementary Studies’ module catalogue and in the university course catalogue under "Praktikum" (internship).

When should I do my practical module?

You determine at what time during your studies you complete your general practical module. It is usual to do your internship during the lecture-free period.

How is the general practical module structured?

The general practical module consists of:

  • a course on professional orientation (2.5 credits)
  • dThe internship itself and an internship report (7.5 credits in total)


Courses on professional orientation

What courses on professional orientation can I choose?

You will find all courses currently applicable to the general practical module in the course catalogue under "Allgemeines Praxismodul"(general practical module).

How can I register for the course on professional orientation?

For information on how to register for courses please check the procedures for the individual courses as laid out in the course catalogue.

Can I take the course after completing my internship?

While it is usual to take the course on professional orientation before you do your internship, it is also possible to take the course after completing your internship.

Do I have to register for the examination online?

For the course on professional orientation please register for the examination either online (semester course) or by registration list (block course after the end of the semester). Please select the module “3400 Allgemeines Praxismodul - Berufspraktikum”; there you will find the examination registration options for the courses.

Can I retroactively use a course I have completed for the general practical module?

Courses which can be used for the general practical module may be “rededicated” to the module at a later date. The Joint Examination Office of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities will re-book the course for you on request. You will find which courses can be used for the general practical module by consulting the current module catalogue.


How do I select my internship?

You are completely free in your selection of your internship. The Internships Office will support you in this. Kiel University’s internship exchange is also available to you to further help your search.

Can I do my internship abroad?

Yes, it is possible to do an internship abroad.The International Center will give you more information on this.

How long should my internship be?

Your internship should take 6 to 8 weeks. A longer internship is possible: there are no time limits for this.

Can I split my internship?

You may split your internship into two parts; each part should be at least 3 weeks long.

Can I do a part-time internship?

Generally speaking an internship should be full-time. Exceptions are laid down by the examination regulations. If the internship is at a university or a research institute it is possible to do this part-time.

Does the internship have to be authorized?

Advance authorization of the internship is not required.

Do I need an internship contract?

To safeguard both sides you should enter into a contract with the company offering the internship. Kiel University does not lay down any formal requirements for this; the university does however provide a sample or model contract you may use.

What are the legal regulations for my internship?

The internship is mandatory, according to the internship regulations. For this internship (when taking place in Germany) the following applies: it should not be treated as a normal employment relationship but as part of your course of study. For this reason you will not contribute to any social security scheme. Nevertheless you be required to respect income limits with regard to health insurance. Generally speaking the usual employee rights do not apply during a mandatory internship; however many protective regulation must also be applied to interns (working time limits, breaks, insurance against accident etc.). Some employers require certification that your internship is mandatory. The Internships Office will issue a certificate for you on request. For this please fill out the form certifying your mandatory internship and submit this during the ZfS’ opening hours; alternatively you can come to the office hours of the Internships Office and collect the certificate on the spot.

Am I allowed to earn money from the internship?

Yes, that is possible. If a form of payment is agreed upon, please be aware of any existing income limits with regard to child benefit, housing allowance, orphan’s pension etc. Any payment to an intern will be fully credited to Bafög (student grant).


What documents should I submit?

At the end of your internship please submit the following documents during the ZfS’ opening hours or come directly to the office hours of the Internships Office:

  • Fully completed checklist
  • A copy of your internship certificate (if you did two partial internships please hand in both certificates)
  • In accordance with internships regulations your certificate should bear your name, your date of birth as well as the duration of the internship and a description of the work performed. This should be written on the company’s official letterhead, bearing your employer’s signature and the company stamp. There is a sample certificate available for you.
  • Your internship report in PDF format should be sent by email to  


Please submit your report at the same time as or before you hand in your other documents. Your documents cannot be processed until your internship report has been submitted.

You will be informed by email (to your stu mail address) as soon as your documents have been processed.

What should I bear in mind while writing my internship report?

You submit your internship report in PDF format at the same time as or prior to submitting the checklist (see documents to submit). This should be done by email to The internship report’s formal requirements basically match those of a term paper. The following formalities should be noted in particular:

  • The report should be three to five pages long.
  • The contents of the reports are to be rendered anonymous. This means that e.g. names will be abbreviated (Ms A., Mr B.). No personal data of the writer should be found in the report. Name and matriculation number will only be entered on the checklist to be submitted.
  • Your employer may read the report.
  • The intern is required to agree to publication on the checklist; the intern should also request that the employer agrees to publication. If either party does not agree, the report will not be published. The formal requirements are met by submitting the report. Any publication is volontary.

Should I register for the examination online?

For the internship and the internship report no prior registration is required.


Can my previous practical experience be accredited?

Under the following conditions professional training or employment can be accredited as a substitute for the general practical module:

  • In general, to be accepted as a substitute for the professional internship, your previous experience or training must be soundly documented.
  • Professional training (of at least one year) will be accepted if the training corresponded to the objectives laid down in §2 of the internship regulations.
  • Work experience will be accepted if it lasted at least six months and corresponded to the objectives laid down in §2 of the internship regulations.
  • If training or work experience is accepted it is not necessary to attend the professional internship course in accordance with §3 of the internship regulations.

Professional internships completed prior to a change of university or subject may be accepted:

  • If their type, extent and objectives satisfy the internship regulations
  • If the last internship took place within the last four years.
  • If your internship is recognised and accepted it is generally necessary to attend the course on professional orientation for an internship, in accordance with § 3 of the internship regulations, and to submit an internship report.

To apply for acceptance please submit your convincing documents during ZfS opening hours or come directly to the Internships Office’s office hours.

Contact person and advice

For a personal consultation please come to Ms Schmidtke´s office hours or request an individual appointment with her. You may submit your documents during ZfS opening hours. You will be informed by email (to your stu-address) as soon as your documents have been processed.