How do I select my internship?

You are completely free in your selection of your internship. The Internships Office will support you in this. Kiel University’s internship exchange is also available to you to further help your search.

Can I do my internship abroad?

Yes, it is possible to do an internship abroad.The International Center will give you more information on this.

How long should my internship be?

Your internship should take 6 to 8 weeks. A longer internship is possible: there are no time limits for this.

Can I split my internship?

You may split your internship into two parts; each part should be at least 3 weeks long.

Can I do a part-time internship?

Generally speaking an internship should be full-time. Exceptions are laid down by the examination regulations. If the internship is at a university or a research institute it is possible to do this part-time.

Does the internship have to be authorized?

Advance authorization of the internship is not required.

Do I need an internship contract?

To safeguard both sides you should enter into a contract with the company offering the internship. Kiel University does not lay down any formal requirements for this; the university does however provide a sample or model contract you may use.

What are the legal regulations for my internship?

The internship is mandatory, according to the internship regulations. For this internship (when taking place in Germany) the following applies: it should not be treated as a normal employment relationship but as part of your course of study. For this reason you will not contribute to any social security scheme. Nevertheless you be required to respect income limits with regard to health insurance. Generally speaking the usual employee rights do not apply during a mandatory internship; however many protective regulation must also be applied to interns (working time limits, breaks, insurance against accident etc.). Some employers require certification that your internship is mandatory. The Internships Office will issue a certificate for you on request. For this please fill out the form certifying your mandatory internship and submit this during the ZfS’ opening hours; alternatively you can come to the office hours of the Internships Office and collect the certificate on the spot.

Am I allowed to earn money from the internship?

Yes, that is possible. If a form of payment is agreed upon, please be aware of any existing income limits with regard to child benefit, housing allowance, orphan’s pension etc. Any payment to an intern will be fully credited to Bafög (student grant).